Topics

Statewide Repeater System

John McDonald

State of Florida DOT has a statewide UHF repeater system SARnet which FCC Licensed HAMs can use for short comms not all comms are emcomm type transmissions; when one repeater is accessed the entire network of repeaters carry the communication. SARnet during an emergency .... most often a Hurricane, SARnet becomes a Controlled Net,  it will be by hams working with the county and state EOCs, not SARnet personnel. SARnet network is comprised of State and private repeaters.
https://www.sarnetfl.com/
https://www.sarnetfl.com/uploads/6/1/7/0/61701057/190103_sarnet_map.pdf
https://www.sarnetfl.com/uploads/6/1/7/0/61701057/181220_fdot_uwave_map_with_uhf_coverage.pdf

I have a friend in West Texas, they have built close to 100 miles of 2 meter repeaters that are linked which are monitored for mutual assistance requests, breaking news, by members, emergency medical, hospitals, Sheriff Departments, Texas Rangers.

Just took a quick look, but that looks like a well organized setup.  I especially liked the map and freqs PDF.

I had to laugh at this FAQ though. :)

Is it ok to key my radio just to hear the network respond?
NO! Never do this on any repeater, let alone SARnet. It is illegal to transmit without identifying and it is very annoying to everyone else around the state who will hear you kerchunk 40+ repeaters at once! It also doesn't really test any of the audio part of your radio anyway.

Kilovolt

John,
I'm not sure if you were aware that they me be ending support of the SARNET system. Many raised hell about it, me all the way to Desantis.Anyway, I recieved this in a e-mail and wanted to pass it along.

THE SARNET HAMCATION FORUM IS ON!! SATURDAY FEBRUARY 8TH AT 3PM THERE WILL BE A SARNET FORUM TO DISCUSS THE FUTURE OF SARNET AND DO A Q&A WITH THE ADMINISTRATORS. THERE WILL ALSO BE A SPECIAL "FEDERAL" GUEST WHO WILL GIVE A BRIEFING ON A PUBLIC SAFETY COMMUNICATIONS SUPPORT TOOL CALLED "NSREN", THE NATIONAL SHARED REMOTE EQUIPMENT NETWORK.
I'm just now reading the NSREN information, but I don't want to see SARNET go.

4Bs/73

Richard Seeley

It has been brought to my attention that the MI5, MI6, and MI7 systems have also
been placed in jeopardy because the FCC is in hot pursuit to sell the frequency spectrum that the microwave towers operate at. Unfortunately this system is funded privately by individual hams and if it is taken it will cost approximately $26,000 dollars per site to change frequencies. This information came from the Michigan interoperability conference this past week.

On Jan 26, 2020, at 3:49 PM, Kilovolt <ted.kruger@...> wrote:

John,
I'm not sure if you were aware that they me be ending support of the SARNET system. Many raised hell about it, me all the way to Desantis.Anyway, I recieved this in a e-mail and wanted to pass it along.

THE SARNET HAMCATION FORUM IS ON!! SATURDAY FEBRUARY 8TH AT 3PM THERE WILL BE A SARNET FORUM TO DISCUSS THE FUTURE OF SARNET AND DO A Q&A WITH THE ADMINISTRATORS. THERE WILL ALSO BE A SPECIAL "FEDERAL" GUEST WHO WILL GIVE A BRIEFING ON A PUBLIC SAFETY COMMUNICATIONS SUPPORT TOOL CALLED "NSREN", THE NATIONAL SHARED REMOTE EQUIPMENT NETWORK.
I'm just now reading the NSREN information, but I don't want to see SARNET go.

4Bs/73

<NSREN.pdf>