Topics

My QRP Solar Generator

 

Finally got this little project done today.

https://app.simplenote.com/p/wWRJMj

James Dyke
 

Nice build !

N6JED

 

From: main@OffGridComms.groups.io <main@OffGridComms.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jim, K7JLJ
Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2019 2:07 PM
To: main@OffGridComms.groups.io
Subject: [OffGridEmComms] My QRP Solar Generator

 

Finally got this little project done today.

https://app.simplenote.com/p/wWRJMj

Chris Warren/offgridham.com
 

Excellent concept and use of resources. I have a 27 watt folding (not flexible) panel on my setup. It folds to the size of a magazine. 

With a 30 watt panel you might not even need the controller. It's in that grey zone. I did not use a controller on mine until I upgraded to a lithium battery 

Very well done! 

 

Thanks Chris, I can direct drive off the panel with a voltage regulator but only for monitoring. 

I’m very happy with it so far. The radio is running 24/7 outside right now to see if it can self sustain. 

On Sun, Nov 24, 2019 at 5:33 PM, Chris Warren/offgridham.com via Groups.Io <solarham@...> wrote:
Excellent concept and use of resources. I have a 27 watt folding (not flexible) panel on my setup. It folds to the size of a magazine. 

With a 30 watt panel you might not even need the controller. It's in that grey zone. I did not use a controller on mine until I upgraded to a lithium battery 

Very well done! 


randall krippner
 

Nice! 

Until I just read about your setup I forgot all about having a new battery pack for an APC UPS sitting on the shelf. It was ordered before I learned the UPS itself had gone bad, not the batteries, and the pack has been sitting still in the shipping box ever since. The pack has two 9 Ah 12V batteries inside of it daisychained together. I'm going to have to pull them out and take a peek. They'd be better than the rather elderly AGM motorcycle battery I'm using now.

Thanks for posting this. It's great to see how you put it all together.

 

Yes, APC is the unit these came out of. Good luck!

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 5:51 AM, randall krippner <randallkrippner@...> wrote:
Nice! 

Until I just read about your setup I forgot all about having a new battery pack for an APC UPS sitting on the shelf. It was ordered before I learned the UPS itself had gone bad, not the batteries, and the pack has been sitting still in the shipping box ever since. The pack has two 9 Ah 12V batteries inside of it daisychained together. I'm going to have to pull them out and take a peek. They'd be better than the rather elderly AGM motorcycle battery I'm using now.

Thanks for posting this. It's great to see how you put it all together.


Mark Gebhardt
 

I like your setup and you cannot beat free batteries. I use a KX3 in an old Jensen metal toolbox. I have a 60 Watt Power Film Panel with an 18AH SLAB in a car jump box with the jumper cables removed. It works good and I have a source for free 3 year old batteries. What I am really lusting for is this battery box. https://www.portableuniversalpower.com/pilot-g2/

Maybe someday!

Mark

 

Looks nice, but my experience with their gear has been that it’s cheap and poorly made with a pretty cover applied. I think I would build a pack like OH8STN does before paying that kind of money.

On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 1:27 PM, Mark Gebhardt <mdgebhardt2@...> wrote:
I like your setup and you cannot beat free batteries. I use a KX3 in an old Jensen metal toolbox. I have a 60 Watt Power Film Panel with an 18AH SLAB in a car jump box with the jumper cables removed. It works good and I have a source for free 3 year old batteries. What I am really lusting for is this battery box. https://www.portableuniversalpower.com/pilot-g2/

Maybe someday!

Mark