Topics

JS8Call 2.1 - Slow Mode

Released last night, left station on with HB in slow mode and the map says it all!  Have never made it that far before, this is awesome!

I'm glad AmRRON OPs are starting to accept this mode as the defacto EMCOMMS.

If you want comms when the lights go off you will not get through with 100W of SSB like you can with 500mw of JS8CALL.
Night and day, comms or no comms in the bottom of the solar cycle.

Back to back HB, normal then slow.  Look at the difference in being heard.  This is 10W.

randall krippner

I haven't tried the slow mode yet. I just upgraded yesterday and haven't had time to do much with it. I'm looking forward to it.

The results I've seen at QRP levels just using standard mode have been surprisingly good. Even when I was using the mag-loop antenna down in the basement with the Yaesu 818 running about 3 watts I would still be getting ACKs from a half dozen US and Canada stations. So I'm looking forward to trying the new "slow" mode with that rig and seeing what kind of results it gets.

I ran an informal experiment the other day after I finally got all the equipment moved into the new shop/radio shack in the basement. I had the Kenwood TS-990 hooked to a GAP Titan multi-band vertical, and was sending heartbeats at various power levels, gradually cranking up the power to see the effects on PSK Reporter. Once I hit 75 watts I seemed to reach the saturation point, so to speak. Increasing power levels beyond that point didn't increase the range or saturation after that point except by an insignificant number of stations. I ran the power up to about 150 watts and saw no significant increase in the number of reports nor in the range I was reaching.

Anyway, JS8 is amazing. I think this is the best thing to happen to amateur radio in years

I've noticed that if I can't hit a station with 10W I can't with 50W.  I guess the old QRP vs. QRO argument holds even with JS8CALL!

I''m staying on the coast right now and was looking forward to playing with 2.1, but all I have are wires with me and no place to hand them at the motel.  On the plus side... the wide said I could get a new Super Antenna for such occasions. :)

I've been trying to leave you messages Randall, but no luck so far.  You do check @ALLCALL every now and then, yes?  Just a matter of time!  My goal is to get one to OH8STN in Finland also.
Anyway, JS8 is amazing. I think this is the best thing to happen to amateur radio in years
Ditto on that!

randall krippner

I haven't tried checking @ALLCALL in a few days now. I don't have anything going on Christmas morning so I'll probably be on then and will try.

The informal experiments I've tried at various power levels pretty much confirms your comment on power. With the conditions I had at the time and the equipment I was using, anything over 50 - 75 watts was a waste of electricity. There was no really noticeable difference in

I'm afraid I haven't had much luck with Europe either. I could try to blame it on the antenna I'm using now, a GAP Titan vertical, but I can't because I've hit the EU fairly regularly with FT8 on this same antenna and similar power levels. I did get a contact with Belgium a couple of weeks ago, but that's been very rare. Propagation conditions here have been disappointing. I've been trying to work CW for the past few days on 40 meters but without any luck. I turned up on the reverse beacon network so I was getting out but didn't get a reply to CQs. I normally don't do CW because I have some issues with deciphering it by ear, but I now have a decoder that actually seems to work so I've been playing with that. Not that it did much good. Lots of fading. Signals can be S9 one moment and drop under the noise floor the next. Makes it frustrating.

James Dyke

Randall,

If it wasn’t frustrating it would be CB. We love a challenge! Keeps the gray matter charged.

Merry Christmas

-Jed

N6JED