Topics

JS8Call 2.0

Well, I just watched Julians quick vid on the new release (oh8stn.org/blog/2019/12/01/js8call-version-2-0-released/) and decided to jump on the bands to try it out.

Seems to be working fine with my setup and I really like the multi decode and the fact that you can see the speeds by the bandwidth of the signals.  This is mode is quickly becoming all you need for EMCOMMS if you ask me.

If anyone want to play around with it tomorrow, I will check into the Zello channel when I'm on the air and where.

randall krippner

I was running the beta version of Ver. 2 for several weeks before the release version came out. It's proven to be very stable and works quite well. The biggest improvement has been the fast and turbo modes. Turbo more than doubles the communications speed, pushing it up to about 40 WPM, a very significant improvement. There are some drawbacks. Turbo isn't as sensitive as the normal mode so you give up some weak signal capabilities, and the bandwidth of the signal is considerably wider. But you can always fall back to the standard, slower mode if conditions are poor. JS8 had turned into a very useful and easy to use mode of communication.

The best part is you don’t have to match the speed of the other guy! I was having issues with the CAT control dropping on trans mission the other day. I’m going to clean it off the laptop and reinstall, I didn’t remove the 1.0 just wrote over it so I think I’m paying the price for being lazy.

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 5:00 AM, randall krippner <randallkrippner@...> wrote:
I was running the beta version of Ver. 2 for several weeks before the release version came out. It's proven to be very stable and works quite well. The biggest improvement has been the fast and turbo modes. Turbo more than doubles the communications speed, pushing it up to about 40 WPM, a very significant improvement. There are some drawbacks. Turbo isn't as sensitive as the normal mode so you give up some weak signal capabilities, and the bandwidth of the signal is considerably wider. But you can always fall back to the standard, slower mode if conditions are poor. JS8 had turned into a very useful and easy to use mode of communication.

randall krippner

Losing CAT once in a while has happened to me as well, but it's been so rare I haven't bothered looking into it. I just assumed it was RF getting into one of the USB cables. I didn't do a 'clean' install either, I suppose I should have but I haven't had any problems.

Oh, that’s a good point. I will experiment. I took the usb cable I was using off since I last got on digital and it had a choke on it.  You are probably onto something... thanks!