Topics

Electrical System #Solar

I have started building my off grid system.  I have some batteries that I can charge by plugging into the house system with a small charger.  What I want to be able to do is have a system that uses solar, generator and eventually wind electrical generation.  I would like the system to be able to go between generator/shore power and wind/solar as seamless as possible.  I want to be able to charge the batteries from the generator when there is little to now wind or solar for extended periods and to possibly have a small and as efficient as possible ac to keep the radios and pis cool in the shack.

What are good ways to do this?

Eventually my entire house will be off grid, but that will take time.  I am starting with my ham shack to be completely off grid, but have my generator be able to power the house lighting and other minor systems when power goes out.  Here in the desert southwest we really like our a/c in the summer, but large central ac systems and even window units use large amounts of electricity.

Hi Douglas,

My advice is to layout the whole system on paper and try your hardest to plan for the END result without taking shortcuts.  If money is an issue it's fine to setup a small 100W system for the radio, cellphones, flashlight batts, etc. first then build a separate system later..

Take a look at what OFFGRIDHAM, VIKING PREPAREDNESS (YouTube), COMMSPREPER (YouTube) have on their site.  Lots of good info.  Also for a step by step 400W system TINFOILRANCH did s good job.

Keep us updated on what you are doing, many others are thinking about it also and would appreciate your insight as it develops.

Kilovolt

I've included a few Excel spreadsheets that should be of help.

4Bs/73

Awesome KV, I've added them to the groups file directory... anyone with other resources they want to share there, just send them to the group and I'll add them.

Kilovolt

And,These

4Bs/73

Kilovolt

Now a bit of wisdom, think of what you want, admit to what you need, and research. Size items required for the long term. If its just going to be a shed, or everything, then don't waste money sizing for the shed, then no longer needing items because you are now going to do everything. Yes, unless you just won the lottery, it will take time to acquire all you need. Good batteries could last years good, expensive solar panels even longer. What incentives will the State of Feds give you, tax breaks etc. Be prepared to add a ground plate under you receiver which is connected to the receiver and your ground system.

4Bs/73