Topics

sticky Check In Here

A good place to start on any forum or group is to give a little background and information about yourself, so here goes my attempt.

I got my Tech license in 11/06/2014 after answering an ad and attending a class put on by Kirby "KL7VK" Wheeler in Talent, OR. Kirby did an excellent job of getting us all to pass the test.

Around March of 2015 I was in Eugene, OR. for the day and saw a listing for testing so I went in to try for General License which I got and took the opportunity to change to the vanity call sign K7JLJ or "K7 James Linch Jr" as it stands for.

I got into HAM radio as another faucet of preparedness and will never be a rag chewer but do enjoy testing abilities and am starting to explore the digital side of things.  Having a sustainable solar option for comms has been my latest priority and is about finished.

Networking with regional groups is my next goal as a HAM.  How to go about that is one of the reasons for this group, as I have no idea how to find like minded people as the idea of a grid-down scenario seems lost on most HAMs as well as your average citizen.  Even ones that work EmComms it seems.

I'm hoping it's just because I have not found the right people.  Since I'm the only person in this group as I type this... LOL  I'm going to leave it short and sweet.

trkpod@...

Hello Jim, your situation sounds a bit like mine - not a rag chewer, interested in EmComm. I’m also in Oregon (Swisshome-Deadwood) live on a communal farm deep in the mountains on a one-lane gravel road. Power outages are a way of life, we’ve been partially off-grid since we bought this place as a BOL for Y2K back in the late 90s. Gravity-fed spring, plentiful wood heat, solar power for lights and satellite internet, the usual stuff.  I also travel in an RV and go south to Arizona in the winter. Always been interested in radio, studied broadcast @ LCC in Eugene, been SWLing for awhile, but just got my Technician ticket at the 15th annual Yuma Hamfest a few months ago.  I know much more about small solar power set-ups than i do Ham radio, so half the battle of going off-grid mobile is done. Just need to learn learn learn more! Will be home to Oregon in a few weeks - the regional groups & nets idea sounds awesome, can’t wait to start participating.
KJ7EHK

Hey KJ7EHK,
Sounds like we can practice some NVIS between our two QTHs when you get the General Lic.

Tell me you are interested in learning CW?
I need a practice buddy! 😁

If you have not already checked out the state repeater system head over to W7PRA.

Welcome aboard BTW and thanks for participating!

We now have 55 members in the group, hoping to see some "decloak" from lurker mode soon. 👍

trkpod@...

The state repeater system sounds like a cool thing. I should be entering Oregon again next week, will see if i can access it from Burns area, staying there for a few days.
I’m such a n00b, but very motivated to learn and participate.
At my home farm i have line of site to a local repeater on a hill, despite my farm being in a very deep narrow valley. Lots of work to do and things to learn, glad i found this group. Just figuring out what aspect of amateur radio i wanted to focus on was the big first step after getting the license, BEFORE buying a radio beyond the UV5R HT. Off grid comms is definitely the major reason.

KJ7EHK

Kilovolt

For those that maybe interested, here a few suggestions. Resarch the Skywarn for your area they're listed http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/  it's always good to know whats going on when the weather isn't the best. Theirs alot of info available there.Another site that maybe of interest is
https://amrron.com/nets-regional-national/amrron-local-nets/  I think it's worth the $5 to join, they also use OPSEC which I think is inportant.Take the time to check-out the whole site, info on FRS, GMRS, UHF/VHF and CW is available along with info on setting up a Net. And finally here is a youtube channel with some great videos, https://www.youtube.com/user/Commsprepper/videos . If nothing else you should find a few more frequencies to monitor

Beans, Bullets,Band-aids and Broadcast monitoring.....

Kilovolt

And I almost forgot, if you know your closest D-star call sign go to http://www.pa7lim.nl/peanut/ Free software for android and windows

Hi Kilovolt,
Appreciate the links.  I've been a follower of CommsPrepper for a long while, good stuff.  Other good channels are https://www.youtube.com/user/GUERRILLAGEEK/videos and https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3xxr5EeFDtxnuHTWsDu2rA

I have yet to hear an amrron net, but listen every now and then.  I joined for the coms plan years ago, but have not seen much come out of the group.  I had high hpes for them, but have not seen any coalescing in the years they have been around.  Their website is very confusing to me.

Kilovolt

Hi Jim,
I follow GUERRILLAGEEK also, and I'll check out the other link, thanks. As for AMRRON, I joined a couple of years ago, I only had a FRS ch 3 group in my area so I did some digging, making contacts through the members list and have been working to reconnect with others to get a least a Monthly Net setup.Most of those I've contacted were active during the reign of 44, and they noticed others dropping off after, so became disinterested and soon that net went quiet.I did notice this year when we had Irma blow through that channels 3 on FRS, GMRS, CB and 146.420 simplex all became active to some extent, So the interest is out there.I don't live within the American Redoubt, but I wonder if it is more active there.
I monitor, FRS/GMRS Licensed, MURS, CB/10m, D-Star and all local repeaters within 20 miles.

4Bs and 73

Mr Bud KN4OUW

On Mar 21, 2019, at 7:23 PM, Kilovolt <ted.kruger@...> wrote:

And I almost forgot, if you know your closest D-star call sign go to http://www.pa7lim.nl/peanut/ Free software for android and windows

Kilovolt

Yes, Thanks though, I got the info via http://spaceweather.com/ I have a 30gal drum w/lid lined with cardboard ready should I get a serious update.

4Bs and 73

Mr Bud KN4OUW

I took a 20 gal lined with cardboard and sealed with metal duct tape and put that in a 30 gal lined with cardboard and taped up. I tried the 30 gal only but when I called my cell in the can it rang and with both signals don’t get thru.

Have a great day

Sent from Mail for Windows 10