What's your backup plan for your hamshack / field computer? #Digital

Something that ties into my previous statement about making sure you have your offline docs in order, is the subject line question.

I've been thinking about if I could even restore my laptop without internet should it become corrupted.

I think an easier path would be to operate everything off a live USB of LinuxMint and save to a second USB drive all files I need to use.  Then I could use pretty much any laptop/desktop as a shack computer.

I also need to get all the docs onto my tablet for QRP digital.  So much to do, so little time.

Something to think about.  Anyone?

I'm my own worst enemy... rember kids... /dev/sda  is NOT your USB, it's likely /dev/sdc and writing an .iso file to sda  will give you the following result. LOL

Greek Man

I have almost totally discounted Paper from my home Office, so I have opted for a digital backup.
Following an -now silent key- suggestion I have prepared a USB thumbstick with everything one would need in the field.
(My Radio related archive is also backuped on a USB drive).
But I made a point of uying a OTG compatible thumbdrive and phone, to access the data (though there are adapters for this)

Το Ελληνικο Prepardness Blog http://greekpreparedness.blogspot.com/
Στις Τρίτη, 9 Ιουλίου 2019, 3:12:10 π.μ. EEST, ο χρήστης Jim, K7JLJ <jim@...> έγραψε:

Something that ties into my previous statement about making sure you have your offline docs in order, is the subject line question.

I've been thinking about if I could even restore my laptop without internet should it become corrupted.

I think an easier path would be to operate everything off a live USB of LinuxMint and save to a second USB drive all files I need to use.  Then I could use pretty much any laptop/desktop as a shack computer.

I also need to get all the docs onto my tablet for QRP digital.  So much to do, so little time.

Something to think about.  Anyone?

randall krippner

On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 05:12 PM, Jim, K7JLJ wrote:
I've been thinking about if I could even restore my laptop without internet should it become corrupted.
Now there's an interesting comment. To be honest I'm not sure if I could fully restore my Apple or Windows computers without an internet connection. I have all of my data automatically backed up to external drives, but a lot of the software I use can't be reinstalled without the internet. The installation software is nothing but a small utility program that downloads the actual program on the fly during installation. There is no actual physical copy of it in my possession. And direct backups of some of the installed software, when restored from a backup, won't work because of DRM tricks they use during installation to try to prevent piracy. My amateur radio software, sure, that could all be restored without a problem if the net was down, as could the open source software. But the other stuff? Probably not.

Donald Sanders

one problem with depending on a outboard drive: When  I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro it reformatted my two 1 TB out drives to 36GB deleting all my stored info.Thus I no longer leave the out drives connected when not in use. Leaving out drives connected can be disastrous.
Dr. Don W4BWS

God Bless All

Ham Radio does not make the world go round.
Ham Radio is what makes the ride worthwhile.

On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 8:12 PM Jim, K7JLJ <jim@...> wrote:
Something that ties into my previous statement about making sure you have your offline docs in order, is the subject line question.

I've been thinking about if I could even restore my laptop without internet should it become corrupted.

I think an easier path would be to operate everything off a live USB of LinuxMint and save to a second USB drive all files I need to use.  Then I could use pretty much any laptop/desktop as a shack computer.

I also need to get all the docs onto my tablet for QRP digital.  So much to do, so little time.

Something to think about.  Anyone?

Greek Man

how about making a bootable USB drive with Windows installed, and work with this? It is a patch up job, but a solution nonetheless

Check out my blogs!
http://greekpreparedness.blogspot.com/
https://survivalcomms.wordpress.com/
Στις Τρίτη, 9 Ιουλίου 2019, 2:00:51 μ.μ. EEST, ο χρήστης randall krippner <randallkrippner@...> έγραψε:

[...]

You lost me at Windoz :)

I am planning to install Linuxmint to a usb instead of running it live. Then I will have a portable shack. I created my own .iso with the software I wanted to use using Cubic but then installed it to my laptop harddrive by mistake. Starting over now.

On Tue, Jul 9, 2019, 07:40 Greek Man via Groups.Io <greekpreparedness=yahoo.gr@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Justin, KG7CNE

There is something to be said for the raspberry pi. I run one as my primary ham computer, and keep multiple copies of the sd card around as backups in case my live card has a meltdown. Doing this also allows for a “backup computer” to be put in a safe place should I ever need it for under 50 bucks. I am looking at the new pi4b 4gb model to replace current pi 3, and am really looking forward to the upgrade.  Decent processor, dual 4K monitor support, more ram, usb-c power input, gigabit Ethernet, usb-3 ports... what more can you ask for, with a $55 price tag.

Greek Man

yuo lost me on the linux complexity LOLOLOL.
same idea though.
regards

Check out my blogs!
Στις Τρίτη, 9 Ιουλίου 2019, 6:54:31 μ.μ. EEST, ο χρήστης Jim, K7JLJ <jim@...> έγραψε:

[...]

Hmph - I'm not sure why I don't do the same. I must have three or four Pi3's laying around, including one I made into a tablet computer. Almost all the amateur radio software I use (except for HRD) has versions for Linux.

FYI: If you haven't heard yet, the new Pi-4 has a problem with the USB-C power connector that wasn't discovered until after the computer went into production. This version is missing a resistor on the USB-C connector that makes it non-compliant with the standard, so not all power supplies will work with it.

Justin, KG7CNE

I had not heard of the usb-c compliance issue, thank you for letting me know.

jeremy johnson <jeremyjohnsoncrna@...>

What keeps you tied to Windows/Mac? Just curious. I Use windows but mainly Linux for my radio needs.
Jeremy KD4KZZ

Kilovolt

The Pi 4 doesn't receive power when used with electronically marked or e-marked USB-C cables, the type used by Apple MacBooks and other laptops.

SEE: More Raspberry Pi coverage (TechRepublic Flipboard magazine)

"A smart charger with an e-marked cable will incorrectly identify the Raspberry Pi 4 as an audio adapter accessory, and refuse to provide power," says Upton.

"I expect this will be fixed in a future board revision, but for now users will need to apply one of the suggested workarounds. It's surprising this didn't show up in our (quite extensive) field testing program."

Upton says this technical breakdown of the underlying issue in the Pi 4's circuitry by Tyler Ward offers a detailed overview of why e-marked USB-C cables won't power the Pi.

Until any future board revision, Raspberry Pi 4 owners will need to use non e-marked USB-C cables, the type used by many smartphone chargers, with a power supply that can deliver the 5.1V/3A the board needs. One option is to buy the $8/£8 official Raspberry Pi 4 power supply.

Ward suggests that "using older chargers with A-C cables or micro B to C adaptors will also work if they provide enough power".

4Bs/73

Kilovolt

Have you checked out the linux distribution "Shackbox"?

4Bs/73

Mike

I skimmed that site a few days ago.  Looks like last news update was in 2014.

The download had a filestamp of Feb 2016, so I don't know how updated it is.

On 7/10/2019 09:21 AM, Kilovolt wrote:

Have you checked out the linux distribution "Shackbox"?

4Bs/73

Kilovolt

Mikel,
The tools available, is my interest, then their is $ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade

4Bs/73

Kilovolt

My current Backup is 2 X 1.5T SSD where I store all reference materials in PDF/Jpeg..... files. No P/S required just USB/OTG cables. I've been doing this for at least 15 years. Drive A can be accessed to retrieve files currently required, B is only accessed for backup. Since its time to rotate B will become A and a new drive has been purchased to become B drive.I also have 2 X RPI 3, soon to be upgraded to the RPI4, when I think all the bugs have been resolved. And a binder with any and all printed data for quick access, My radio gear is stored in a gobox, Power supply, batteries, charging system and small solar panel in a separated gobox.

4Bs/73

Thanks everyone for your input.  It got me thinking about backups and to start organizing my data.  Few things need printed out IMO, but there are a ton of reference items in PDF format to keep available offline.

I had gotten too lazy using google docs to hold everything.  I've got a live install of Ubuntu 19 now on a 4MB USB and downloading files, videos, pics I don't want to loose to a 125gb USB that I will be getting another identical one setup soon as a backup to it.

Being able to plug it into the phone and keep it on my keychain was the wining combo, thanks again.