Topics

08/24/2019 new article posted on Off Grid Ham

Chris Warren/offgridham.com

Edited

Do you want complete communications security? On amateur radio, there are few options, and they're not that good.

https://offgridham.com/2019/08/communications-security/

Good article Chris, pretty much sums the choices up.  Along with not caring about FCC during SHTF, is AmRRON's ideology that sudo-callsigns be used during that time..

AmRRON Corps members have access to all of their member names via the directory and I notice the newer members usually have (OR) at the end if they are in Oregon, etc, etc.

They do allow for "vanity" calls though if you want to keep your state unmentioned also and you would have to make your own list based off the state forum you belong too.

Point is, that using your FCC callsign in SHTF when most have been associated to your AO in good times via QRZ.com, etc. is not a good idea.  Having a list of "general class" callsigns to use might be a good idea during these times if you are worried about it.

Myself, I will continue to use my own as a search puts me in Medford, OR and I'm not worried about "visitors" and not delusional to think that matters to .gov abilities to hone in on any signal.

Besides, all my regional nets know my call from check-ins and will tend to trust a callsign they "know" I suspect, as they also know my voice.

Just more food for thought.

- Jim Linch

On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 6:46 AM Chris Warren/offgridham.com via Groups.Io <solarham=rocketmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Do you want complete communications security? On amateur radio, there are few options, and they're not that good.

https://offgridham.com/2019/08/communications-security/

Chris Warren/offgridham.com

I think when SHTF a lot of the amateur radio conventions and gentleman's agreements we've gone along with will go right down the crapper.

And yeah, in such a situation I would not use my real callsign either.

I too am not overly concerned about .gov or anyone tracking my signal. Still, you open yourself to a lot of trouble even if you can't be pinned down to an exact QTH.