Off-Grid Comms Group main@OffGridComms.groups.ioWhen you hear EmComms in HAM circles, do you envision a room or tent full of HAM gear or "EmComm Go Boxes" setup to be the inter-tie between LEO/EMS units and people needing help as part of a regional rescue effort?
That's my vision of the standard EmComms definition, but that's not "Off-Grid Comms" or what this group is about, although there is crossover between the two. What I want this group to be about is more than a "command unit" setup mentality.
I want a place for those who see HAM radio as the last chance at regional communications should normal grid power become unavailable. Be it for a few days due to a storm, or a year from an organized attack on the power grid, the ability to communicate via VHF/HF will be critical in grid-down times.
True preparedness for EmComms means the ability to operate and talk to others inside and outside your immediate area for informational purposes. When the Internet is down, the street lights are off and information is no longer available via the normal channels, HAM radio operators who have prepared for such an off-grid scenario are going to be the lifeline of information.
If this sounds interesting to you, then come on in and lets talk about it!
DE Jim, K7JLJ
- 174 Members
- 98 Topics, Last Post:
- Started on
Group Email Addresses
- All members can post to the group.
- Posts to this group do not require approval from the moderators.
- Posts from new users require approval from the moderators.
- Messages are set to reply to group.
- Subscriptions to this group do not require approval from the moderators.
- Archive is visible to anyone.
- Wiki is visible to members only.
- Members can edit their messages.
- Members can set their subscriptions to no email.